Friday, October 14, 2011

Excitement in Rio Ranch!


Wow so I don’t even know where to start. It has only been a week and soooooo much has happened!  I guess I will start from the beginning. Last Monday was packed full of meetings and training. Pres and Sis Miller and the AP were there to greet us as soon as we got off the airplane. They are super nice and caring people. As soon as we had everything packed up in the trailer they packed all the elders in a van and Sis. Wagner and I got to ride with the Millers. It was a nice chance to get to know them a little better. Before we did anything they took us to the temple so we could all get a picture. After that we all went to the mission home to have lunch. They have a cook. She made us wild rice soup and some type of fruit salad. The soup was different but pretty good. After lunch we went over paper work and had interviews with Pres. Miller and then Sis. Miller. Then surprisingly other missionaries from around the area started to come over and  it was sprung on us that we were to go out with them and do tracking.  Sis Wagner and I went out with some Spanish sister missionaries. I was a little worried. We split up and I went with sis Prez (who is awesome) and we knocked on doors and started to teach people. We passed out 3 BOM and got a referral for the English elders.  We also found a Spanish man who told us that he was not interested, but we found some common ground with him. Before I knew it I was sharing my testimony about the BoM in Spanish. He could tell that I was struggling with my Spanish but he was really encouraging. It was just what I needed. Even though he was not interested he was still really kind to me because he knew I was trying my best. After tracking the sister dropped us back off at the mission home to continue our meetings. At some point we had dinner it was lasagna and then had a testimony meeting to wrap up the long day. Sis Wagner and I stayed at the house while all of the elders went to sleep at the AP apartment.

The next day was transfer and we got to see where we were going and who our new companions were. I has so many emotions. I didn’t know what to think. Before the meeting we met our trainers and knew of the two areas of which we might be assigned to. It was paired up with Hna. B and assigned to the Rio Ranch area. I love my companion. She is full of spunk and knowledge. She is awesome. It seems like we are long lost friends. We are the only Spanish speaking missionaries in the whole stake. We cover a large area. I was secretly hoping to be in the Rio Rancho area because hot air balloon festival that was going to start. I really really want to see them.  Anyhoo,  HnaB took me back to the apt. so I could unpack. I honestly don’t know how to describe it. We live with members but in an apt that is connected to the back of their house. Their house is in a neighborhood/farm. Everyone there has several horses. The family that we live with has around 8ish. Also there are lamas and alpacas and two camels. That is right the home next to us owns 2 camels. We have started to give some of the animals names from the Bible. The camel’s names are now Job and Abraham. Ok our apt has a spiral staircase to get to the front door and to the balcony. I like to study on the balcony.

After I was unpacked we went out so I could meet members and investigators. The first person I met was a woman named Lorena. She was baptized a week before I met her. She owns a hotdog stand.  She is from Mexico. She is super friendly and was very welcoming to me. The night I met her she was planning go to the temple and do baptisms. We taught her more about baptisms for the dead. It was electrifying to see how excited she was. She also made me some Mexican bbq. It was really good and it wasn’t until later that I found out that all the meat came from the cow head and nothing else. hummmm. We have been there several times after and she always makes us something and it is always super good, although I have yet to see her make a hotdog.

After Lorena we visited several other people. That night we were with the English sisters because we did not have a dinner app. The family was super cool. They surprised me with a greenie dinner. It was hysterical. They made green pancakes, green hash browns, green eggs and green kool-aid. Even the parents wore green shirts!!!! I got a kick out of it! funny though... we all did not fit around the table so HnaB and I sat in the living room. I sat my plate on the side table to use the restroom and when I came back I found their little dog had eaten almost all of my dinner!! Of course it had to happen to me. The family and I got a good kick out if it.

During the week we also visited a woman named Nomei. She has been investigating the church for a while now and really wants to be baptized but her husband won’t let her. It is really sad. You can tell that she has a strong testimony. She didn’t know that we were coming. We had planned to go over the 1st lesson but when we got there we found out that she had just gotten back for Texas from her uncle’s funeral. She explained that her family has never been good at dealing with death but this time it was easier because she has a testimony of the Plan of Salvation and she knew that she would see him again. She Is Amazing! When she was telling us this I was having a hard time flowing along because she speaks really fast Spanish but I could get the jist of the conversation. Then all of the sudden Hna.B turns to me and gave me the look that says "ok it’s your turn now”. At first I thought  “I don’t know what to say! I don’t even know what is going on”. But she just kept looking at me. So I did the only thing that I really knew how to do. I shared her my testimony in my broken Spanish. When I started I immediately felt different. I could tell the Holy Ghost was helping me. I wanted so badly to say something to help her and I know with the help of the Holy Ghost I could. I could feel the Holy Ghost and I knew Nomei could too.

We are also teaching the Garcia Family. They just showed up to church one Sunday and wanted to learn more! WoW.  We started to teach them this week. I extended my first baptismal invitation and they accepted!


real quick... so we were having personal study and then we hear this loud blowing sound. We ran out to see what it was and it was a hot air balloon right over the house! They were everywhere. They made it difficult to study because we kept looking out to see all of the different ones. My favorite shape was DarthVater! There were hundreds of balloons. It was majestic to see them just floating in the air. For 2 days they went over the house. The family we live with owns a balloon too!

Ok so I know I have written a novel and it is not even half of what I could tell you but my time is running short and I still have to write Pres. Miller.

I love you thank you for all of your support and love!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment