Monday, March 26, 2012

The New Area, Pigs, Dogs, and Baptizems


It has been one interesting week. when I moved in to my new area I couldnt stand how much junk was in the apartment So Hna Coles and I purged the apartment of all the left over junk from passed missionaries. the refrigerator was the most disgusting part. I swear there must have been things in there since the ark landed. But now it is all clean:). My new area could not be more different then my last area. I am in the middle the no where working in the sticks, Where not very many people live in houses. Most people live in trailers or make shift houses. There are a few housing developments but not very many. On Saturday we went knocking in one of them. We were not out for very long knocking but long enough for me to get a nice farmers tan on my arms;) I also met a member family that has a pig that is named Hamlet. This family lives in a nice area and the pig just chills out by their pool. I thought of Jim when we were over there and how much he would have loved having a pet pig chilling in his backyard.

Because we are pretty much in the middle of nowhere there is a lot of sand. I have come to find out sand + wind + smiling or blinking= sand in the mouth and eyes/ don't fun. There was a sand storm yesterday. There was so much sand in the air it looked like it was foggy but in reality it was sand and dirt in the sky. I was tempted to whip out some goggles. But I dont think that would look normal and It must be in the white hand book somewhere about not wearing goggles. hahaha

Hna Coles and I have been out about the same amount of time, she is just a transfer behind me. Both being kinda new, sometimes we have trouble understanding what people are saying. For example: we had a dinner appt. We called the night before using the number on the dinner calender and got it all situated and confirmed . But then the next day when we are about to leave for the lady's house we looked for her address in the directory and it wasnt there. so we called her for directions. she had to repeat several because we couldn't understand how she was spelling the street name. When we got off the phone with her, Hna Coles called someone from the ward that speaks both languages and asked them to call the lady back and get the directions for us. It was really funny. But hey we eventually got it and made it to dinner:) Normally we have been good at tag teaming it when people talk to us. Because I understand more than what I can speak and Hna coles can speak more that what she can understand. I know that sound really weird but that is how it is. So we have decided to always put the phone on speaker so I can translate what they are saying and then Hna Coles will answer to what I have translated. It is a weird system that we have worked out. but hey its working.

We have several 4 baptisms lined us for April 7 and all of them are right on track. 3 of those baptisms are from the Chavez family. They are a husband, wife and their 9yr daughter. And they are awesome! They have already changed their lives around and are reading everyday. the Other baptism we have on the 7th is Sandra. Her sister and mom are members but less active. i found them with Hna Holland when we were on exchanges. I they moved here form VA and didnt know where the church was so they became less active. But the are now coming back. Sandra's mom and sister are converts too. But when they were having the discussions Sandra didnt want to listen. But she is ready now:) she has stopped smoking, drinking and coffee. We talked more about her baptism last night and she is ready. we just have to finish teaching her the lessons:) Sandra lives with her mom and her sister in a little bedroom apartment. She has told us before that her little chihuahua for some reason doesn't like it when people leave. so they always have to put him in a room so he doesn't attack us when we leave. Well.. we forgot about it last night. Hna Coles opened the door and I was behind her and then I felt a sharp sting by my ankle. The dog bit me! he didnt break through the skin but he did give me a nice bruise. The bruise should be gone soon.

If you find undershirt I could use some new ones, a black or white one. Yeah Hna Gomez was wearing my shirt. we shared close a lot:) You think I am in a nicer place? thats interesting. because I think the opposite. Yeah I am not in a city area but we didnt have a dangerous parts of town, the elders get those parts. Horizon is closer to the Mexico boarder and there are a lot of stray dogs here that you have to watch out for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment